On the fence about downsizing? We help you decide whether that fencing should encircle a mansion or a mini trailer
2. Lots of roof there to maintain.
3. All I see is time and $$$$.
2. Must be nice having time to sit on the porch.
3. When can I move in?
2. I’d have to get rid of a lot of stuff, but maybe it’s time.
3. We could live on the road and visit the grandkids whenever we wanted!
2. It calls to me. But where am I going to put the Cuisinart, the KitchenAid mixer, the coffeemaker, the espresso machine and the countertop rotisserie?
3. As long as I can find the microwave, I’m good.
2. I could probably get along without the fireplace.
3. How many people sleep in this room?
2. At least there’s room for a chair to throw my clothes on.
3. All I do is sleep there, anyway.
2. Hopefully I’ve outgrown the need for multiple machines.
3. Looks more like a Laundromat than a laundry room to me.
2. Maybe this would discourage my son from bringing home his laundry.
3. Compact, functional, no piles of clothes … I like it!
2. This office makes me tired.
3. Just give me my laptop and a Starbucks!
2. This could work if I culled my files …
3. Genius use of closet space.
2. I wish my closet looked like this.
3. Anything I haven’t worn in the past year gets donated, so this is perfect.
2. I am seriously getting too old for this.
3. I’d rather golf, read, drink, watch TV, shop or travel than work in my yard.
2. Wow, I could weed this in five minutes.
3. Someone pour the wine!OK. All done? Now add up all the numbers you wrote down. If you scored:
13–21: You are definitely not a candidate for downsizing, and can totally ignore my next several ideabooks.
22–30: Brace yourself — there is a move in your future. You are definitely showing signs of being bitten by the “maybe it’s time to downsize” bug.
31–39: Call the moving company! And watch for the next installment in this series on the secrets to successful downsizing.