In a compact space, choosing just-right furnishings can make all the difference between your home feeling cramped or comfortable. From practically invisible acrylic chairs to mini Parson desks whose use can flex with the needs of your space, these 5 furniture pieces should be on any small-space-dweller’s must-have list.
- Settee. A petite love seat or settee makes for cozy seating and gives you a place to stretch out when on your own, without the bulk of a full-size sofa. In a larger space, a settee can also work at the foot of a bed, in the entry or even pulled up to a dining table.
2. Mini Parsons desk. It can be a desk, but it also works as an oversize bedside table, bar, buffet or kitchen table. In fact, there’s not much this versatile table can’t do. The sleek shape makes it an especially good choice for studio apartments, where you need your table to pull double (or triple) duty.
3. Bench. A backless bench is a smart choice in a small dining area since it can be tucked under the table, as it is here, when not in use. A low bench also works well as a coffee table, and it can be called into service as extra seating when guests outnumber the chairs.
4. Acrylic chair. Like an invisibility cloak for your furniture, anything made of clear acrylic is an excellent choice for small spaces. An acrylic armchair is an especially useful piece to have, since it can tuck in just about anywhere, from the living room to the desk.
5. Poufs. Whether you choose Moroccan-style leather, rustic burlap or seagrass, poufs are a must for any small home. Use them as footstools, extra seats or side tables (just top with a tray).
Tell us: Do you live in a small space? What are your can’t-live-without pieces?
Ron and Martha Wolford are the leaders in luxury home construction in Louisville, Kentucky.
Visit our website!